Alma 32:41

...Nourish the tree as it beginneth to grow, by your faith with great diligence, and with patience, looking forward to the fruit thereof, it shall take root; and behold it shall be a tree springing up unto everlasting life.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Tuesday's review and Wednesday meal plan and Thursday recipe

Playing catch up, sorry. We've had a crazy few days. My Husband is switching to freelance from his full time position next week. It's a little scary and a little exciting. Our biggest concern is health insurance. There are a lot of freelancers here so there are options- it's just a matter o picking the right one and budgeting for it. This will be an adjustment but I think it is the right direction for now. If you know of anyone in the Visual Effects industry he can connect with- let us know. His portfolio and Resume can be found at ww

Menu Review:

The chili was excellent and even won a prize at our Trunk or Treat/Chili cook off. It is a barebones basic chili which is exactly how DH likes it. He doesn't like kidney beans either so the red beans in this recipe were perfect or his kind of chili.

I made the Pumpkin Gorgonzola pasta. Sadly it was too sophisticated for our tastebuds. I did like it better the second day. I LOVED the mushrooms and onions. I think I will make those more often just because I like them. I am the only one who will eat them but I had no problems eating them all. :) I made some italian sausage on the side to go with this and that went over well. I might be willing to try the pumkin sauce again with a milder cheese like Gouda or Mozzerella. The gorgonzola had to much bite and the pumpkin was too sweet in combo with it. But as I said I liked it better the second day. So maybe I just needed to give it time to blend better. Or maybe I didn't quite follow the recipe right? Anyway. I'm glad we tried it. We needed a fall experiment meal. :) I have tried other recipes from this site, Pots and Pins, that we LOVE. So I will continue trying her recipes and we will sophisticate our palate some more. :)

I forgot to put the pork in the crockpot before we left for church on Sunday so we had a letover night early. We needed it anyway...

Still love the Cafe Rio Pork and Lime Cilantro salad dressing. I have been using the leftover dressing on everything! I put it on angel hair pasta with spinach, grape tomatoes, and parmesan. SOOOO yummy! Love it!

I won hot wing sauce with my chili so I decided to put it to use last night and make Oven Fried chicken. I tried mixing the sauce in with the egg but it didn't flavor the chicken at all. I don't know if I didn't make enough or what... Suggestions? The chicken was good dipped in the wing sauce and cilantro lime dressing. We had salad too.

Meal plan:

Just a few changes to use up leftovers, celebrate halloween... that kind of thing.

Today: rio pork and black bean burritos
Fri: Dead Man on Worms- Pots and Pins winner! She was on Emeril for this recipe. So much fun! She has a photo up on her Halloween party post. Awesome party too!
Sat: Thai Peanut Chicken from Package
Sun: Tri- tip
Mon: Leftovers
Tuesday: Sweet and Sour Chicken

Recipe:

Oven Fried Chicken

2 tbs butter- melt and put in bottom of 9x13 pan
2 large eggs
2 TBS milk
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tsp seasoning of choice- I used Creole seasoning- I will probably use more next time- maybe two tsp?
Chicken- I used two large chicken breasts cut into strips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

mix eggs and milk together.

mix flour, cornmeal, and seasoning.

Dip chicken into egg mixture and then into flour mixture then put in the prepared pan.

Halfway through cooking, brush juices from the bottom of the pan on the top of the chicken. Total cooking time 45-50 minutes.

This is the first time I've gotten my chicken to stay breaded! Love it! I would recommend more seasoning as it is very mild.

No comments: