Alma 32:41

...Nourish the tree as it beginneth to grow, by your faith with great diligence, and with patience, looking forward to the fruit thereof, it shall take root; and behold it shall be a tree springing up unto everlasting life.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Choice Humanitarian

About nine and a half years ago I began one of the hardest and best journeys of my life.  I served an eighteen month long mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Houston, TX.  I spent the first 9 weeks of that journey learning Spanish and studying the most basic beliefs (and really the most important i.e. the Atonement) at the Missionary Training Center in Provo, UT.  Then I was sent to Houston where I met my Training Companion and my Mission President.  It was a wonderful time of study and prayer and focus and a difficult time of study and prayer and focus.  It was a roller coaster of rejection and acceptance.  I am forever grateful for my time serving as a missionary.  My testimony of the Love our Heavenly Father and Savior have for us increased exponentially.  My Mission President was Dr James B. Mayfield.  He is a truly remarkable man. He inspired us as missionaries to set goals, to achieve goals, to work hard, to study hard,  and be faithful.  Long before he was my Mission President, he helped to start a non profit group focused on ending poverty by providing people with tools/skills and resources and leadership. That group is Choice Humanitarian.  They have chosen to honor him for his dedication with a Fundraising Gala in November.  He has asked all of his missionaries to attend.  I'm not sure if that will work for my family at this time (we just found out today and haven't had time to discuss it yet) but I will be working to donate to his organization.  From what I have read on their website I believe that Choice Humanitarian is educating and empowering people and I want to be a part of that.  Please check out their website and see if it is a charity that you would also like to support.  If you will be in Salt Lake City on November 14th consider buying a ticket to the Gala. For more info go to  Choice Humanitarian.   and the Gala/donating site.

No comments: