Alma 32:41

...Nourish the tree as it beginneth to grow, by your faith with great diligence, and with patience, looking forward to the fruit thereof, it shall take root; and behold it shall be a tree springing up unto everlasting life.

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Parenting Rant

That's why I have a blog, right? So I can rant and vent a little. I have not been a parent very long so... maybe I am missing something here, but when did being a child become getting everything you want and more? I read this article and about freaked out with my self-righteousness. :)

Basically some parents have written letters to toy companies asking them to not advertise to kids but instead advertise to parents because it is just sooooo hard to say no to your kids.

a) How do you make a TOY commercial not for kids? Just having the toy in the commercial will make it of interest to kids. I mean, I guess they can focus on all of the educational benefits of the toy and that might be boring for kids?

b) Get a Tivo/DVR or turn your TV off more or both! We just watch DVDs of TV shows or movies. No commercials. That doesn't stop my son from falling in love with everything Cars or Elmo. He is perfectly willing to buy the popcorn with Incredibles on the box over whatever other popcorn is at the store regardless of sizing or price. So, we have the opportunity of teaching him when we go to the store. He's only 2 so he's still learning to deal with the answer no but he hears it a lot. It's good for him.

c) Kids should not get EVERYTHING on their list for Christmas. That's why it's a list of wishes/wants and then Mom and Dad get to SURPRISE you with what you do or don't get.

d) Parents- grow up! You are parents. Christmas is about giving not getting. Christmas is about life lessons- hard ones as well as beautiful ones. Christmas is about Love not money. You teach kids their attitudes about all of these things. You teach them what kind of consumer they will be - smart or stupid.

I am a sucker for toys for my kids. Our house is full to the brim with them. I love buying them new toys. So I get it. But this is real life, folks. Even for Christmas you don't get everything you want. And it isn't the end of the world. I choose to parent my child and I won't go into debt ( or prostitute myself as one parent in the article seemed set on doing) for Christmas because I hope to retire someday and not be a burden on my kids. Maybe we'll even pay for some of their college education. I think eventually they will appreciate that MUCH more. Actually I know they will.

No comments: