Alma 32:41

...Nourish the tree as it beginneth to grow, by your faith with great diligence, and with patience, looking forward to the fruit thereof, it shall take root; and behold it shall be a tree springing up unto everlasting life.

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thanks for the encouragement and my weekly menu

Thank you so much for the encouragement and the suggestions. That's why I started this blog- to get encouragement and to hold myself accountable for my goals in a realistic way. I really want this to be a positive place where I can help myself build the home environment that I want. Some days and weeks will be better than others but the important part is to keep trying and to try new things when others aren't working. So thank you for reading and taking the time to comment and give me encouragement. I appreciate it greatly!

Menu review:
The rio pork and bean burritos were excellent as always. I love that cilantro lime dressing!

Dead Man over Worms was the best Halloween dinner! It was so fun and even Kaden would eat it (well the noodles anyway). I made my sister-in-laws recipe for Meatloaf because I didn't have all of the ingredients for Nan's. I would trust Nan's to be delicious too.I made sweet and sour chicken instead of Thai peanut chicken. This is one of our family faves-recipe to follow.

The Tri-tip rub was fantastic! I let it sit in the fridge all morning and cooked it in the crockpot with 1 cup of water for 4 hrs on high. It may have been for 3.5 hours. Anyway it was delish! We will make it again.

Leftovers were yummy

We had Chicken over Rice finally. Yummy. Basically it is 2 cans of cream of Chicken soup, one can of chicken, a little milk and sour cream heated up and poured over rice. (Add sour cream last after the rest has cooked a little. Don't boil it after you add the sour cream- just warm it up). This is wonderful comfort food. Fast and easy too. You can add whatever spices you think your family would like- salt, pepper, season salt, parsley, curry...

Last night we had Potstickers and rice. We get the frozen Ling Ling potstickers(or Gyoza) from Costco.

Tonight we are having the Thai Peanut Chicken from a seasoning package.
Friday:
Sat: Brown Sugar Pork Tenderloin
Sun: Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
Mon: Leftovers
Tues: Chicken Tikka Masala
Wed: Apple and Onion Beef Pot Roast

The Apple and Onion Beef Pot Roast recipe from my Aunt Mary Lee

makes 8 to 10 servings ideal slow cooker: 4- or 5-quart

...".....................................................................

3-lb. boneless beef roast, cut in half Oil

1 cup water

1 tsp. seasoning salt

1f2 tsp. soy sauce

V2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

% tsp. garlic powder

1 large tart apple, quartered

1 large onion, sliced

2 Tbsp. cornst_rch

2 Tbsp. water

1. Brown roast on all sides in oil in skillet. Place in slow cooker.

2. Add 1 cup water to skillet to loosen browned bits. Pour over roast. 3. Sprinkle with seasoning salt, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder.

4. Top with apple' and onion.

5. Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours. 6. Remove roast and onion. Discard apple. Let stand 15 minutes.

7. To make gravy, pour juices from roast into saucepan and simmer until reduced to 2 cups. Combine corn­starch and 2 Tbsp, water until . smooth in small bowl. Stir into beef broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes until thickened.

8. Slice pot roast and serve with gravy.


So we are trying mostly new to us recipes this week...

I am really excited to try the Tikka Masala recipe. I love Indian and that is my favorite dish. If you are ever in Provo or Salt Lake be sure to check out Bombay House.

Here's my Sweet and Sour recipe
> Sweet and Sour Chicken as made by Danielle
> I made it for dinner tonight and it is still good. I got the original
> recipe from a book called "Help, My Apartment has a Kitchen!" but I switched
> it to Chicken from pork and quadrupled the sauce. I usually cook for two- this
> makes enough for probably 4?
>
>
> 2 Chicken breast- cut into pieces
> Baby carrots
> Onion (or onion powder)
> Green pepper (optional)
> Pineapple chunks(optional)
> Vegetable oil
> 1 cup water
> 1 cup apple cider vinegar
> 2 TBS and 2tsp teriyaki sauce
> ½ C and 2 TBS Da rk brown sugar
> 1 tsp hot sauce
> 4 TBS Cornstarch
> 1 C cold water
>
> First cook carrots, green pepper, and onion in oil for about 5 minutes. Take
> out and set aside. You'll want to use a deep sided skillet since you will be
> making a sauce.
> Cook chicken.
> Add the veggies back and all ingredients except the cornstarch and water at the
> end of the list. Stir it up and then let it simmer covered on Medium low for 30
> min. Check periodically to make sure there is enough juice- don't take the lid off. Medium low is key
> for this.
>
> Stir cornstarch and remaining C of water together- add to pan. Stir while it
> thickens.
>
> Serve over rice.
>


No comments: